Members need to know and understand the:
- aims and objectives of the team,
- the team plan and how their contributions will be used, and
- rules and expectations of the team.
The types of things the team should be asking in this stage are:
- Who are we?;
- Why are we here?;
- What is the task?
Something that you might be asking yourself at this stage is: Will I be accepted?
If, over time, a team is not able to move to the 'Norming' stage it may be that it:
- has a high turnover of members,
- holds infrequent meetings (either face to face or online), and/or
- suffers from a lack of team leadership and direction (Giesen & Osborne, 2008).