Concept: formal document that specifies team roles, norms, expectations, processes, and reward/distinction,
The document specifies, for example:
- Individual and team goals (with emphasis on creating alignment)
- Roles and responsibilities (task and social)
- Timelines and key milestones
- Expectations related to meetings, attendance, and communication
- Protocols for giving and receiving feedback
- Rewards for performance, sanctions for non-performance
Impact of charters on team performance
- The charter helps low effective performance strategy team to perform better than without charter.
Source: Mathieu and Rapp, Journal of Applied Psychology, 2009
- "Our results support he assertion that the introduction of team charters do, in fact, manifest in improved intermediary process outcomes, including communication, effort, mutual support and cohesion."
Source: McDowell et al., Oragnization Development Journal, 2011