- Variety and overlap assume organizations that are similar to the networks.
- There are multiple actors involved in decision-making.
- As nodes in a network, these actors like nodes are related to each other .
- Every proposed decision will result in a push and pull among several of these nodes with unpredictable outcomes.
How to decide in such a networked organization?
- Definition: the leader using her formal authority directly (command and control)
- Pros: clear, peace
- Cons: makes organization reactive, little potential for cooperative behavior
- Definition: telling organizational members what to do, the leader is trusting the lower levels to generate their own problems and solutions
- Pros: respects people's knowledge, potential for cooperative behavior
- Cons: leader may become captive